J-1 Scholar Categories

Category Details
Research Scholar /Professor

This J-1 Exchange Visitor category has a minimum stay of three weeks, and a maximum continuous stay of 5 years. The five year maximum stay for a J-1 research scholar/professor. The five year “clock” begins with the start date on the Form DS-2019 and this status remains available until the end of five years from that date or the date the J-1 program is concluded, whichever is earlier. At Yale, the initial DS-2019 will be issued for the duration of the academic appointment and can be extended for the duration of the Yale appointment up to a maximum of five years. However, when the program at Yale is completed so is the J-1 status unless the scholar transfers immediately to another J-1 sponsor.

Paid employment for J-1 research scholars or professors is permitted only if it is described on the Form DS-2019 issued to the J-1 visa holder. In most cases, it is not possible for a J-1 visa holder to accept paid employment outside of Yale. However, there is a provision which allows for occasional lectures, if the permission is requested and granted by OISS before the event. Please contact an adviser in OISS for details.

12 and 24 Month Bars:

There are severe restrictions that make some individuals ineligible to use the Research Scholar or Professor J-1 category.

Short-Term Scholar

The J-1 Short-Term Scholar category can be used when the academic objective for the visit can be completed within six (6) months or less. This J category is often used for lectures, observations, consultations, or to participate in seminars, workshops, conferences or professional meetings. The J-1 Short-Term Scholar category is designed for academics who reside outside the U.S. and will from time-to-time be invited for short visits. The J-1 Short-Term Scholar may return to the U.S. again for a new Short-Term Scholar stay providing there is a substantial break in between and each visit constitutes a new objective. Another advantage of using the Short-Term Scholar J-1 category is that the visitor may also return to the U.S. for a longer term stay using the J-1 Research Scholar/Professor category without being subject to the 12 and 24 month bars.

(rarely used)
Specialists, for J-1 purposes, are defined as individuals who are experts in a field of specialized knowledge or skill coming to the U.S. for observing, consulting or demonstrating their special skills. A specialist may not fill a permanent or long-term position of employment while in the U.S. This category is not intended for experts covered by the research scholar, professor, short-term scholar or foreign physician in graduate medical education or training categories. The maximum period of stay is one year.

Please also review Employment for J-1 Scholars.