A student who has failed to maintain F-1 student status and who wishes to return to, or transfer to Yale, must apply for and be granted reinstatement to F-1 student status by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If you violated any of terms of your legal F-1 student status, please consult with OISS immediately.
The Reinstatement Application Includes the Following Documents:
- a completed I-539 form with the $370 filing fee (the check should be made payable to Department of Homeland Security.) Write the word REINSTATEMENT on the top of the form.
- a newly obtained I-20 form issued by OISS
- a copy of your most recent online I-94 record
- a copy of your previous I-20 forms
- evidence of continued funding
- a written statement requesting reinstatement which explains that the violation of student status resulted from circumstances beyond your control and/or that the failure to be reinstated would result in extreme hardship. Any documentation that supports your claim should be attached.
OISS will review your letter prior to your submitting the application. Do not apply for reinstatement without first speaking with an OISS adviser.
Mailing Your Applications for Reinstatement:
Please mail your application to the correct filing address for Form I-539 on the USCIS website.
As with all immigration applications, you should keep copies of all documents submitted. A decision to reinstate an individual to F-1 student status is completely at the discretion of USCIS. If the application is approved, USCIS will mail a confirmation form with the approval decision. F-2 dependent status is automatically reinstated with the reinstatement of the F-1 student. Please inform OISS of the outcome.