Extending J-1 Status

To request an extension of your J-1 status up to the maximum period allowable under the regulations, you must initiate your request through your department who will make the formal request to OISS through OISS Connect. The extension process (including obtaining a new DS-2019) must be completed before the end date as noted on your current DS-2019 form.

OISS will need the following information from the supervising faculty member or other authorized department personnel:

  • Your position title
  • The proposed dates of the extension
  • The amount and source of the funding

If your stay is not supported by Yale funding, you will need to provide OISS proof of funds (i.e., external grant award letter, personal bank statement, etc.). Salary support must meet the minimum established for certain Yale University positions, e.g. postdoctoral or postgraduate appointments.

Please note: Once an individual is notified that the U.S. Department of State (DOS) has sent a favorable recommendation that the waiver of the two year home residency requirement be granted, per DOS the J-1 “exchange visitor is no longer considered eligible for an extension of program beyond the end date shown on the current DS-2019… even though they may not have completed the maximum duration of participation permitted for the category.”

Time Limitations

Based on your J-1 category, there may be limitations or Yale policies about how long your appointment may be extended. Before making an extension request, be sure to review both criteria with your department and OISS to make sure you are eligible for an extension.

  • J-1 Research Scholar: Five year maximum
  • J-1 Short Term Scholar: Six month maximum
  • J-1 Student Intern : One year maximum
  • J-1 Non-degree student: Two year maximum

Obtaining a New DS-2019

OISS will prepare a new DS-2019 reflecting the extended period.

Please note that a new DS-2019 will be issued to reflect the new period of stay. That document legally extends your J-1 visit as long as you remain in the U.S. If you have a spouse or child(ren) in J-2 status, their stays will also be extended.

If you travel outside the U.S. during this new period of valid J-1 status (other than visits of less than 30 days to Canada or Mexico and adjacent territories), you must have a valid J-1 visa in your passport. If your current J-1 visa has expired, you will use the new DS-2019 to apply for a new J-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside the U.S.

When you apply for a J-1 extension, you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again.

Maintaining Health Insurance

In extending your J-1 stay you must also be certain to extend your health insurance coverage. Failure to do so will result in the termination of your J-1 status.