Maintaining Status for F-1 and J-1 Students

U.S. Visa

As an international student at Yale, your objective is the same as that of your domestic peers: getting a Yale degree as you academically and personally grow. However, you also have a few additional requirements mandated by federal regulations that you need to be aware of, and comply with, during your studies. Please remember that as an international student it is your responsibility to ensure you maintain your legal F-1 or J-1 status and avoid any violations. 

Below are the key things you need to do to maintain your legal status at Yale. Please note that most rules apply to both F-1 and J-1 students, but there are some additional requirements for the J-1 status. However, do not worry: as long as you maintain focus on your overall objective of getting a degree at Yale, follow a few simple reporting requirements, and let us OISS know immediately when issues arise, you will avoid any problems that might interfere with your academic program and/or immigration status.

If your spouse or dependent children will be accompanying you to the U.S., learn more about the F-2 and J-2 visas here.


General Requirements

The following sections provide the information you need to maintain your student status. If you are a newly arrived student, please refer to our page that covers the new arrival requirements for incoming students: Your First Two Weeks.

Study-Related Requirements

Let your OISS adviser know if there are any pertinent changes to your educational status. See the following for examples. Reach out to your OISS adviser if you have any questions.

J-1 Specific Requirements

Students with a J-1 visa have some additional requirements. Reach out to your OISS adviser if you have any questions.

Travel-Related Requirements

Employment and Tax-Related Requirements

Other Requirements

Consequences of Not Maintaining Your Status

If you do not maintain your immigration status, your legal permission to remain in the U.S., as well as your ability to return in the future, may be in jeopardy. This goes for your accompanying dependents' statuses as well. If you think you have violated your immigration status, immediately contact your OISS adviser who may be able to help you navigate a status violation. If you have failed to maintain your F-1 student status and wish to return to, or transfer to Yale, you must apply for and be granted reinstatement to F-1 student status by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).