Change of Education Level

If you are remaining at Yale but changing to a different academic program (e.g. from a Master's to a PhD program), OISS must issue you a new I-20. To do so, provide the following documents to your OISS Adviser.

Travel During the Period Between the Two Programs

You are considered legally present in the U.S. in F-1 status between the two programs, as long as you have completed the steps listed above and have received your new I-20. If your F-1 visa has expired, the new I-20 establishes the continuance of your F-1 stay. However, the first time you travel outside the U.S.(except to Canada or Mexico) you will need to apply for a new F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Travel outside the U.S. will require that you present the new I-20 when you re-enter the U.S. If the current visa in the passport is valid, it can be used for new entry to the U.S. prior to the start of your new program. If your current F-1 visa is expired, you must apply for a new F-1 visa prior to returning to the U.S.using the new program I-20.