Employment for J-1 Students

On-Campus Employment

J-1 on-campus employment is defined as employment that occurs on the premises of Yale University or for which you receive a Yale paycheck. With permission of the J-1 program sponsor, students in J-1 status may work up to 20 hours per week* (each week) when school is in session and full-time during holiday and vacation periods. If Yale University is your J-1 program sponsor (i.e. if Yale issued your DS-2019 form), you must seek permission to work from OISS before commencing work which can done by reporting your on-campus employment below.. This reporting will be sent to SEVIS and serve as your permission to work. If you have an outside sponsor such as Fulbright, you need to contact that sponsor for permission.

* J-1 students may work up to 20 hours a week while school is in session per federal immigration regulations, but per Yale policy students may not work more than 19 hours (combined for all jobs) in any week during the academic terms. Exceptions are Ph.D. students, who may not work more than 10 hours (combined for all hourly jobs) in any week during academic terms unless they have the required permission of the director of graduate studies, in consultation with the appropriate associate dean.
Important Note:
J-1 students must request authorization for their J-1 On-Campus Employment. We ask that you submit this request 7-10 days prior to your start date to allow us enough time to process it.

Off-Campus Employment

With prior permission from OISS, some students in J-1 status may engage in off-campus employment which is necessary due to serious, urgent and unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since obtaining the exchange visitor status. An OISS adviser is available to talk with you about the kind of circumstances that qualify and the supporting documentation you need to request this kind of employment.