Applying for Your U.S. Visa

Congratulations on your admission to Yale! OISS will begin processing the visa documents for newly admitted students after we have confirmation of your admission from your school. The steps listed below are for students who are outside the U.S. and will be applying for a F-1 or J-1 student visa to attend Yale.

If you have any questions, please contact your designated OISS adviser.

Yale College students should contact their designated OISS adviser, Daniel Riecker.

Important Note:
Do not book a flight until you have your visa in hand.

Preliminary Steps

Apply for Your Visa

For Canadians Special Note For Canadians:
You do not need to apply for a U.S. visa. Learn about what you will need here.

Once you have your SEVIS number, you can start the visa application by completing the DS-160 online application and scheduling an appointment at the embassy or consulate. Follow the links below to learn more.

Next Steps

Follow the instructions below depending on your visa type.