Maintaining Legal Status

As a J-1 student at Yale University, you have been admitted for a specific period of time to engage in your particular area of study, as described on your DS-2019 form. It is important that you maintain lawful J-1 status while in the U.S. There are some simple steps you can take to ensure that your stay in the U.S. remains valid:

  • Report any changes in your U.S. address or your foreign address through SIS (address types in SIS to change are titled “OISS”)
  • Be aware of the expiration date of your status. This is not your visa expiration date in your passport; it is the end date in section 3 of your DS-2019 form. Notify OISS if you are approved for an extension of your program to stay beyond that date.
  • Be continually enrolled as a full-time student. Undergraduates must take at least three courses per semester and meet all Yale College requirements for promotion. At the graduate level, full course of study is defined by your program. Refer to your school bulletin for credits required per semester.
  • Do not accept unauthorized employment either on or off campus before you notify OISS. Refer to the working section for employment information.
  • If you will transfer to another college or university to pursue another degree, discuss your plans with an OISS adviser to make sure that the required transfer procedure can be accomplished.
  • J-1 visitors are allowed a 30-day grace period beyond the end date on their DS-2019 to prepare for departure. This additional 30-day period is NOT for employment, extensions, or transfers. If you travel outside the U.S. during your 30-day grace period, you forfeit the remaining grace period and may not re-enter the U.S. under J-1 status.
  • Comply with U.S. Department of State health insurance requirements for J-1 visa holders and their families.
  • Keep your passport valid. Passports can be renewed by your consulate in New York or Boston. For information about the nearest consulate check