Inviting a Scholar

Staff over a table


The university sponsors visas for full-time academic positions such as faculty, researchers, trainees and employees (who are at least 18 years old.) The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) oversees all non-immigrant visa issues for these Yale affiliates. On rare occasions the university sponsors high ranked M&P positions, normally with the approval of the Exceptions Committee. Please speak to your HR Generalist about eligibility details and the process. The university sponsors employment based immigrant visas (green cards) for select, permanent positions as outlined in our materials. Any use of legal counsel (lawyers) for immigration matters must first be approved by OISS. Please read about host department responsibilities if this is a new procedure for your department.

If you are not familiar with sponsoring international scholars please review the Appointments, Funding and Dates on this page.  Requests to OISS should only be submitted after the appointment has received all the required University approvals.  Whenever a new sponsorship request is made OISS reviews the information and with the department determines the best visa category for the international visitor.

Help Us Help You!
Please be sure to submit all the information and documents in the scholar request as completely as possible and review your work before you submit it to us. This makes the process much faster and easier for all parties!