Requests for J-1 Scholars in OISS Connect

This page provides an overview of the updates that you can report in OISS Connect for Initial or Active status J-1 scholar records.

To submit an update, open the scholar's record and select the 'Requests' tab. Click on and complete the appropriate request, including uploading any necessary documents. Finally, click the 'Create Request' button.

OISS will issue the required DS-2019 within 10 business days upon receiving a fully complete OISS Connect Request.  

Submitting an Update

1. Log in to OISS Connect. Search for and open the scholar record you wish to take action on. (When searching, use only one name, e.g. 'Elihu” not “Elihu Yale.”

Search OISS connect using one name and select record of interest in results

2. Open the 'Requests' tab in the scholar's record and click on the desired Request Button (see detailed request function/description below).

Click on requests then select from a number of available options for requests

3. Enter the required information and add any additional comments for OISS.

4. Upload any required documents to the request.

5. Click the Create Request button when done.

Create Request button

Request Types

Delayed Arrival

  • Use this request for scholars whose arrival plans have changed.
  • You should make this request if the scholar is arriving more than 15 days after their start date.
  • Please enter the new proposed start and end dates as needed.
  • You may only make this request for scholar records in the Pending Tab and in “Initial” status.
  • OISS will generate an amended DS-2019 form for the scholar. Both the amended and the original DS-2019 forms should be printed and brought with the scholar for international travels. The visa obtained with their original DS-2019 is still valid.

Early Arrival

  • Use this request for scholars  who will arrive in the U.S. and start their appointments earlier than the DS-2019 start date.
  • This request may only be submitted provided:
    • The record is in the Pending Tab and in “Initial' status.
    • The scholar's J-1 visa has been issued.
    • A new earlier Yale appointment start date has been approved by the appropriate oversight office, e.g. Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, Faculty Affairs, Provost Office, Office of Academic and Professional Development, etc.
    • New earlier start date must be no earlier than seven (7) business days from the request submission.
  • If the scholar is already in the U.S. they must NOT start working (including orientation and onboarding training) until they receive the updated DS-2019.
  • If the scholar has not yet arrived in the U.S., they must use the updated DS-2019 for their travel to the U.S.

Add New Dependent

Request a J-2 DS-2019 for the scholar's spouse or child dependent (under 21 years old). This request can also be completed and submitted by the J-1 scholar in their OISS Connect account. More details about J-2 status for scholar dependents.

Change Title / Funding (Without Extending)

Report any changes in title and/or funding that do not require an extension of the DS-2019 or a change in Yale host department.

Add Site of Activity

Report a scholar's new work location, including name and address.

Shorten DS-2019

Report when a scholar is finishing at Yale more than 30 days before their DS-2019 end date, or is finishing at Yale and wishes to transfer DS-2019 to another institution in the U.S..

Change Host Department (Current Department Complete)

Report a scholar's plans to transfer to another department within Yale.

Change Host Department (New Department to Complete)

Report new appointment information for a scholar that has been recently transferred to your department from another department at Yale.

Extend DS-2019 

Use this request for scholars who will be continuing in your department and require an extension of their DS-2019.

Intern Evaluation

Use this request to submit an evaluation for a J-1 student intern.

Change Faculty Sponsor (Without Department Change) 

Use this request for scholars who will be continuing in your department but are changing their faculty sponsor.

Cancel DS-2019 

Use this request for scholars who have not yet entered the U.S. and will no longer be coming to Yale.