OISS Connect Processing Issues
1. I submitted a request in OISS Connect but have not heard back from OISS.
- Make sure you click the Submit button. Only then will OISS know the record is ready for review.
- If OISS has requested additional information after the initial submission, you will need to resubmit the record by clicking the Submit button.
- The review of a completed New Sponsorship Requests can take up to ten days. If additional information or documents are requested after the initial submission it will take an additional ten days for review.
2. What is the status of the DS-2019 form for an incoming scholar?
- Check the status at the top left of the OISS Connect record.
- Draft: DS-2019 has not been issued.
- Initial: DS-2019 has been issued
3. How do I change an arrival date for a new scholar whose travel is delayed?
- Once a DS-2019 form has been issued, all other changes need to be made using the 'Requests' tab. In this instance use delayed arrival.
4. How do I submit a J-1 extension request?
- An extension request is submitted through OISS Connect using the Extend DS-2019 button which is at the top of the scholar’s record. (Link to https://oiss.yale.edu/for-departments/j-visas-step-by-step/j-1-extensions)
5. How do I reactivate the OISS record for a scholar is returning to Yale?
- OISS cannot reactive an inactive record. The host department will need to create and submit a New Sponsorship Request.
OISS Connect Technical Issues
6. I can’t find a scholar’s record in OISS Connect.
- When searching for a scholar record, only enter one name (e.g. ‘Smith’, not ‘John Smith”).
- If you have trouble finding the scholar record, use the Advanced Search to filter by visa type or other identifiers.
7. I am having trouble accessing OISS Connect.
- Make sure you’re using Google Chrome as your browser
- Departments log into OISS Connect with their Yale credentials (NetID/password), while scholars log in with their email address and password they set themselves. If a scholar is having trouble logging in, direct them to Getting Started with OISS Connect.
- Check here to see if there are any service disruptions with OISS Connect 8. The data I am entering is not being saved.
- If your data is not saving, try clearing your cache, log out, and log back in.
9. I am having trouble uploading documents to OISS Connect.
- Add only PDF documents to the OISS Connect. If the document is not in a PDF format, convert it to a PDF file before uploading to OISS Connect. If a file is in an image format (JPG, PNG, BMP, etc.), you can convert them to PDF using these instructions: https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-turn-document-into-pdf/.
- You can download multiple documents as a bundle by clicking the 'Print Documents' button in the Documents tab. You are able to select which ones to download by checking the box next to them and selecting Print.
10. I attached the wrong document to the record. How can I delete it?
- Documents that are attached to the record can only be deleted by OISS. Do not use the minus sign, as that will reject the document and notify the scholar.
11. I can’t see the document I just uploaded.
- If you have uploaded a document but now cannot see it, OISS can correct this.
12. Can I use special characters, accent marks, hyphens or commas in any of the OISS Connect fields?
- Unfortunately, no. If the address includes non-English letters ask the scholar to translate it to ensure timely delivery.
If you have a question about OISS Connect not covered on this page or elsewhere on the OISS website, take a screenshot of the program and send it your your OISS Adviser.