Appointments, Funding and Dates

Academic Appointments

Before contacting OISS about a visa sponsorship for a Yale employee or academic visitor, the department must have received all the necessary University approvals. 

To understand the best match of visa type to Yale appointment title, please review the detailed information here.

The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs oversees and sets minimum funding amounts for the following appointments, including postdoctoral associates and fellows. When making a requests for these appointment titles the department must upload evidence of appointment approval in OISS Connect.

  • Postgraduate Fellows and Associates
  • Laboratory Associates
  • Visiting Fellows

The Office of the Provost and the Medical School’s Office of Academic & Professional Development each oversee the remaining academic appointments eligible for visa sponsorship.

Note: There are specific requirements for requesting sponsorship for a J-1 Student Intern (Visiting Undergraduates Participating in Research or Clinical Activities.)

Funding Amounts

U.S. immigration regulations require that Yale verify and document adequate funding arrangements for all incoming scholars.  For appointments beginning July 1, 2022, Yale has set a minimum of $3,167 per month ($38,000/year) for an individual and an additional $725 per month for an accompanying spouse and $525 per month for each accompanying child.

In all instances, the minimum level of funding must be met before a visa document can be issued. Requests for H-1B sponsorship must follow U.S. Department of Labor rules about funding regardless of Yale's recommendations. J-1 scholars and any accompanying dependents must have health insurance coverage regardless of funding source.

The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs sets the funding levels for all appointments that fall under the authority of their office. Please refer to their list of compensation by appointment title.


Non-Academic Appointments

C&T/Casual Positions

Individuals in C&T or casual positions are not eligible for Yale visa sponsorship. They may be hired if they have their own work permission ( J-2 EAD, F-1 OPT) as long as the position conditions comply with each visa's work permission rules (if any); however the job offer cannot exceed the work permit validity.

M&P Positions

M&P positions 23 and 24 may request visa sponsorship from the Exceptions Committee (HR, OGC, OISS) although they are rarely approved. M&P 25 and higher may request H-1B sponsorship. Any M&P visa sponsorship request starts by contacting the HR Generalists for that department and is required to get OISS assessment for the H-1B eligibility.