F-1 Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an employment option available to F-1 students when the practical training employment is considered to be an integral part of the curriculum or academic program. At Yale, the use of CPT is only available in the two circumstances listed below:

  • The employment (usually an internship or practicum) is a degree requirement of all students in the program. Each school and/or degree program at Yale has different requirements that will affect your eligibility for CPT. Please check with your school or OISS.
  • You will receive academic credit for your proposed CPT employment. The course must be listed in your school bulletin and be specifically designed to award academic credit for an employment or practical training experience. PhD students in dissertation status may be eligible for CPT if the training experience is an integral component of the dissertation.

Part-Time vs. Full-Time CPT

CPT can be granted on a part-time or full-time basis. During the academic year, CPT is limited to part-time (no more than 20 hours per week) and you must continue to be enrolled as a full-time student. Full-time CPT (more than 20 hours per week) is generally available to students only during the summer break. If you use 12 months or more of full-time CPT, you will not be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Eligibility Criteria for CPT

  • You must have been in lawful F-1 status for at least one academic year.
  • You must have an offer of employment that qualifies for CPT by establishing that the proposed employment is either a degree requirement for all students in your program or that you will receive academic credit based on your proposed employment experience.
  • PhD students may be eligible for CPT if they are enrolled in GSAS 901C or GSAS 902C or if the proposed employment is essential for their dissertation.

Applying for CPT

  • Contact OISS to evaluate your eligibility for CPT.
  • If all eligibility requirements are met, your OISS adviser will give you the appropriate academic recommender to use, and then you may create and submit an online CPT Request by opening a Chrome (recommended) or Firefox browser and using this link to log in to OISS Connect. ONLY CLICK ONCE! If you are returning to work on your request, log in to connect.oiss.yale.edu to edit your pending request on your profile page.
  • Be prepared to attach documentation of your employment agreement (could be a letter or a contract). You must submit your request for CPT before your CPT begins.
  • Yale College students who will enroll in PRAC 471 (Fieldwork Practicum Analysis) must have completed the Project Proposal Form signed by their DUS. Once you have the signed project proposal and your offer letter, you must submit the Yale College Student CPT Request Form. (Note: If you are in Energy Studies, Education Studies, Human Rights Studies, Global Health Studies, Grand Strategy Program, or Yale Journalism Initiative, please do not submit this request and contact your adviser Ozan Say).
  • Students in the School of Music must submit the Music Student CPT Request Form.
  • PhD students enrolled in GSAS 901C or 902C must have the completed Request Form signed by the DGS. Once signed, scan the form, offer letter and personal statement to Dean Richard Sleight for a final review and signature. Send an electronic recommendation request through your OISS connect application to Dean Richard Sleight at GSASadministrativedean@yale.edu. If approved, the Dean will attached the signed form to your electronic recommendation in OISS connect.
  • PhD students with employment essential for dissertation must submit a personal statement and a letter of support on Yale letterhead written and signed by their PI describing how the proposed employment is essential for the development of their dissertation. Please, scan this documentation to Dean Richard Sleight. Send an electronic recommendation request through your OISS connect application to Dean Richard Sleight at GSASadministrativedean@yale.edu.The Dean will review this documentation and if approved he will attach the forms to your electronic recommendation in OISS connect.
  • A new form I-20 will be issued denoting the employer and the dates authorized on page two. You can present this new I-20, along with your passport and I-94 record, as proof of employment authorization to your employer.
  • Apply for a Social Security Number if you do not have one already.

Multiple Employers and Extensions

CPT authorization must be granted for each incidence of employment for a specific employer and period of time. If you change employers or engage in concurrent employment, you require authorization for each employer and time period. If you are asked to extend your work period for an already approved employment you need to apply for and be granted an extension of your CPT through OISS. Work undertaken after the expiration date of your CPT will be considered unauthorized employment.