F-1 On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is defined as employment that occurs on the premises of Yale University or for which you receive a Yale paycheck, including “employment pursuant to the terms of a scholarship, fellowship or assistantship”.

To be eligible for on-campus employment you must be enrolled in a full course of study and remain enrolled full-time. Students may work “on campus” up to 20 hours per week* (each week) when school is in session, and full-time (more than 20 hours a week) during holiday and vacation periods. A new F-1 student who has been issued an initial form I-20 may work up to, but no more, than 30 days prior to the commencement of classes.

If you pursue on-campus employment, you must apply for a Social Security Number.

F-1 students may work up to 20 hours a week while school is in session per federal immigration regulations, but per Yale policy students may not work more than 19 hours (combined for all jobs) in any week during the academic terms. Exceptions are Ph.D. students, who may not work more than 10 hours (combined for all hourly jobs) in any week unless they have the required permission of the director of graduate studies, in consultation with the appropriate associate dean.

What is Considered On-Campus Employment?

Type 1: Employment at Yale University

Any on-campus work for which you receive a paycheck (or other compensation, such as room and board, etc.) from Yale University or the Yale-New Haven Hospital.

Type 2: On-Campus Work affiliated with an On-Site Commercial Firm on Yale's Premises

This includes work on Yale's campus for a commercial firm if and only if this work provides direct services to Yale students. Prior approval from OISS is required.

Type 3: Certain Off-Campus Employment

Where there is an official educational relationship between Yale and the off-campus employer. With prior approval from OISS, immigration (USCIS) regulations allow work at an off-campus location provided the:

  • location is educationally affiliated with Yale,
  • educational affiliation is associated with your school's established curriculum or is related to a graduate level research project which your school has contracted to perform, and
  • work is an integral or important part of your program of study.