Traveling on OPT

Traveling on Pre-Completion OPT

Travel recommendations do not change for Pre-Completion OPT. You can refer to our regular travel guidance in F-1 status.

Traveling on Post-Completion OPT

Required documents to re-enter the U.S. while on post-completion OPT

Once you have graduated, an F-1 student who travels outside the United States for a temporary absence can be readmitted to resume employment for the remainder of the period authorized on his or her EAD card, provided that they show these required documents to re-enter the U.S. in F-1 status:

  1. Valid I-20 - Page two should list your employer's information and be signed by an OISS adviser within the last six months.
  2. Valid F-1 Visa - If your F-1 visa is expired, you must apply for a new one at a U.S. embassy or consulate prior to your return. (Note: Canadian citizens do not need a visa.)
  3. Valid Passport - The expiration date should be at least six months into the future at any given time.
  4. Valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
  5. Evidence of a job offer or resumption of employment. If you are returning to the U.S without evidence of a job offer, you may show evidence of your job search, interview appointments, etc as intention to use your OPT.

If you need to leave the U.S. before you receive your EAD, speak with an OISS adviser.

If your employer has filed for an H-1B on your behalf, check with your employer about any travel plans as leaving the U.S. while an H-1B petition is pending may jeopardize your petition.