The Immigration & Nationality Act (INA § 265, 8 U.S.C. 1305) requires all nonimmigrants and permanent residents, including international students, scholars, and their families, to report any change of residential address in the U.S. to the federal government, within 10 days.
Please Select Your Visa Type
- Use our online form to update your address. OISS will pass this information on to DHS.
Update your addresses in the Student Information System (SIS). OISS will pass this information onto DHS.
For Yale Students
- Log into SIS
- Click on the 'Personal Data' button in the top row, then select 'Addresses and Phone Numbers'.
The next step depends on whether you are a new or continuing student:
New Students will need to scroll down. From the drop down menu, select 'OISS U.S. Address' then 'Insert Address'.
Continuing students should find your OISS U.S. Address and click on 'Current '.
- Type your address in this format:
- Line 1: Building Number and Street Name
- Line 2 (if applicable): Apartment Number or Building Name
- Line 3 (if applicable): This will remain blank unless you have additional building information.
- City: Most likely this will be New Haven
- State: Will be Connecticut
- Zip Code: Most often it is 06511, but use the USPS zip code tool to confirm this.
You can also update your phone number (see image above). This number must be a U.S. phone number. Enter the area code (the first 3 digits of your phone number) in the first box and the remaining numbers (last 7 digits of your phone number) in the second box. If you do not have a U.S. phone number, please just enter your Yale department phone number. SEVIS will not accept an international phone number in this case.
- Click 'Submit' to save.
Non-Yale J-1 Student?
- You must also report your change of address to your sponsor.
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Academic Training (AT)
Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Update your address with OISS
- Update your address with USCIS at by completing the online AR 11 form. You must report a change of address to USCIS within 10 days of moving.