F-1 On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is defined as employment that occurs on the premises of Yale University or for which you receive a Yale paycheck, including “employment pursuant to the terms of a scholarship, fellowship or assistantship”.

To be eligible for on-campus employment you must be enrolled in a full course of study and remain enrolled full-time. Students may work “on campus” up to 20 hours per week (each week) when school is in session and full-time (more than 20 hours a week) during holiday and vacation periods. A new F-1 student who has been issued an initial form I-20 may work up to, but no more, than 30 days prior to the commencement of classes.

If you pursue on-campus employment, you must apply for a Social Security Number.

What is Considered On-Campus Employment?

Type 1: Employment at Yale University

Any on-campus work for which you receive a paycheck (or other compensation, such as room and board, etc.) from Yale University or the Yale-New Haven Hospital.

Type 2: On-Campus Work affiliated with an On-Site Commercial Firm on Yale's Premises

This includes work on Yale's campus for a commercial firm if and only if this work provides direct services to Yale students. Prior approval from OISS is required.

Type 3: Certain Off-Campus Employment

Where there is an official educational relationship between Yale and the off-campus employer. With prior approval from OISS, immigration (USCIS) regulations allow work at an off-campus location provided the:

  • location is educationally affiliated with Yale,
  • educational affiliation is associated with your school's established curriculum or is related to a graduate level research project which your school has contracted to perform, and
  • work is an integral or important part of your program of study.