Academic Training

Academic Training is an employment authorization status granted to eligible J-1 students for employment related to your field of study. It is authorized by your J-1 program sponsor and does not require further permission from the Department of State. If Yale University is your J program sponsor, i.e.. Yale issued your DS-2019, an OISS adviser will review your application and authorize your employment under academic training. If your DS-2019 was not issued by Yale University, contact the program sponsor. For degree-seeking students, Academic Training is available during your academic program and/or upon its completion. For non-degree students, Academic Training can only be used after you have completed your program at Yale, and only for professional opportunities requiring at least 20 hours per week of work. To be eligible for academic training, you must be in good academic standing and the proposed employment must be temporary, supervised and related to your major field of study.

The Department of State has specified that Academic Training participants may work remotely no more than 40% of the time (e.g., two days out of five) when their host organizations have instituted partial remote policies and their sponsor has approved their hybrid program participation. Fully remote work is not permissible while on Academic Training.

Length of Academic Training

The length of Academic Training permitted is based on degree level and the length of your program of study. Note that any Academic Training used prior to completion of studies is deducted from the total time allowed. Part-time employment (less than 20 hours a week) counts at the same rate as full-time employment. Academic Training limitations are inclusive of any prior academic training in the United States as an Exchange Visitor.

  • Yale College: 18 months or the length of the academic program whichever is less.
  • Graduate and Professional School programs longer than 18 months: 18 months.
  • Graduate and Professional School programs less than 18 months: Academic Training must be less than or equal to your program length. Example: If your academic program is 9 months, you can only have 9 months of Academic Training.
  • PhD programs: ​Up to 36 months. Additional limitations: only 18 months may be used before the completion of study; a maximum of 18 months of Academic Training can be authorized at a time.
  • Non-degree programs: Academic training can be granted for the same length of time as the program of study. However the total time in J status (study and work) cannot exceed 24 months. Non-Degree students cannot engage in Academic Training internship opportunities while full time enrolled, only after they complete the academic program.  

Applying for Academic Training

When to Apply

Academic Training can be used prior to graduation during school breaks, or after graduation as an extension of the J Exchange Visitor Program. For post-completion Academic Training (employment after graduation), you must apply before the end date on your DS-2019 and before you begin the employment. For pre-completion Academic Training (during your period of full-time study) you must apply before you begin the employment.

How to Apply

To create and submit your Academic Training Request you should open a Chrome (recommended) or Firefox browser and use this link to create the AT Request and log in to OISS Connect

Important Note:
Only click this link once! Clicking additional times will open duplicate requests and unnecessarily delay the process.

If you are returning to work on your request, log in to to edit your pending request on your profile page.

You will be prompted for your NetID and password, and then should select the 'Request, (current year)' option.

Review the documents listed below to prepare for the request. If eligible, your OISS adviser will approve your Academic Training and issue a new DS-2019 form.

  • The Academic Training Employer Statement completed and signed by your employer
  • Post-completion Academic Training only:
    • Proof of funding to demonstrate adequate financial support. The minimum funding necessary for Academic Training is:
      • FY23: $3,167 per month ($38,000/year) for an individual and an additional $725 per month for an accompanying spouse and $525 per month for each accompanying child in J-2 status.
      • FY24: $3,200 per month ($38,400/year) for an individual, and an additional $800 per month for an accompanying spouse and $575 per month for each accompanying child in J-2 status.

Reporting Requirements while on Academic Training

  • You will need to report any changes in your address to OISS.
  • If you change employers, speak to your OISS adviser before accepting the new employment offer. To be authorized for a job change you will need to apply for a new period of Academic Training per the instructions above.
  • You must maintain health insurance coverage for yourself and any J-2 dependents throughout your Academic Training.

Evaluation of Academic Training

You will need to submit an Academic Training evaluation every nine months. If the Academic Training is less than nine months, the evaluation is due at the end of the Academic Training period. The evaluation is used to assess the effectiveness and appropriateness of the academic training in achieving the stated goals and objectives described in the initial application. By completing the evaluation the student is also confirming enrollment in insurance coverage that meets the J-1 Exchange Visitors program requirements.

Submit an Academic Training Evaluation Now

Extending Academic Training

In order to extend your period of Academic Training you must complete a new set of the documents listed above and submit them to your OISS adviser at least one week prior to the expiration of your current Academic Training. Your Academic Training work permission must be approved before the end of the current Academic Training period.

After Academic Training

Once your academic training is completed, you have a thirty day grace period to depart from the U.S. If you plan to remain in the U.S. you will need to plan in advance to secure alternate work permission. You may want to contact your OISS adviser to discuss the two-year home-residency requirement, as well as the “12 Month Bar.”