Academic Training is an employment authorization status granted to eligible J-1 students for employment related to your field of study. It is authorized by your J-1 program sponsor and does not require further permission from the Department of State. If Yale University is your J program sponsor, i.e.. Yale issued your DS-2019, an OISS adviser will review your application and authorize your employment under academic training. If your DS-2019 was not issued by Yale University, contact the program sponsor. Academic training is available during your academic program and/or upon its completion. To be eligible for academic training, you must be in good academic standing and the proposed employment must be temporary and related to your major field of study.
Length of Academic Training
The length of Academic Training permitted is based on degree level and the length of your program of study. Note that any Academic Training used prior to completion of studies is deducted from the total time allowed. Part-time employment (less than 20 hours a week) counts at the same rate as full-time employment.
- Yale College: 18 months or the length of the academic program whichever is less.
- Graduate and Professional School programs longer than 18 months: 18 months.
- Graduate and Professional School programs less than 18 months: Academic Training must be less than or equal to your program length. Example: If your academic program is 9 months, you can only have 9 months of Academic Training.
- PhD programs: Up to 36 months, only 18 months may be used before the completion of study. A maximum of 18 months of Academic Training can be authorized at a time.
- Non-degree programs: Academic training can be granted for the same length of time as the program of study. However the total time in J status (study and work) cannot exceed 24 months.
Applying for Academic Training
When to Apply
Academic Training can be used prior to graduation during school breaks, or after graduation as an extension of the J Exchange Visitor Program. For post-completion Academic Training (employment after graduation), you must apply before the end date on your DS-2019 and before you begin the employment. For pre-completion Academic Training (during your period of full-time study) you must apply before you begin the employment.
How to Apply
To create and submit your Academic Training Request you should open a Chrome (recommended) or Firefox browser and use this link to create the AT Request and log in to OISS Connect.
If you are returning to work on your request, log in to connect.oiss.yale.edu to edit your pending request on your profile page.
You will be prompted for your NetID and password, and then should select the 'Request, (current year)' option.
Review the documents listed below to prepare for the request. If eligible, your OISS adviser will approve your Academic Training and issue a new DS-2019 form.
- The Academic Training Employer Statement completed and signed by your employer
- Post-completion Academic Training only:
- Proof of funding to demonstrate adequate financial support. The minimum funding necessary for Academic Training is $3167 per month and an additional $725 per month for an accompanying spouse and $525 per month for each accompanying child in J-2 status.
Reporting Requirements while on Academic Training
- You will need to report any changes in your address to OISS.
- If you change employers, you will need to apply for a new period of Academic Training per the instructions above.
- You must maintain health insurance coverage for yourself and any J-2 dependents throughout your Academic Training.
Evaluation of Academic Training
You will need to submit an Academic Training evaluation every nine months. If the Academic Training is less than nine months, the evaluation is due at the end of the Academic Training period. The evaluation is used to assess the effectiveness and appropriateness of the academic training in achieving the stated goals and objectives described in the initial application. By completing the evaluation the student is also confirming enrollment in insurance coverage that meets the J-1 Exchange Visitors program requirements.
Extending Academic Training
In order to extend your period of Academic Training you must complete a new set of the documents listed above and submit them to your OISS adviser at least one week prior to the expiration of your current Academic Training. Your Academic Training work permission must be approved before the end of the current Academic Training period.
After Academic Training
Once your academic training is completed, you have a thirty day grace period to depart from the U.S. If you plan to remain in the U.S. you will need to plan in advance to secure alternate work permission. You may want to contact your OISS adviser to discuss the two-year home-residency requirement, as well as the “12 Month Bar.”