On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is defined as employment that occurs on the premises of Yale University or for which you receive a Yale paycheck, including “employment pursuant to the terms of a scholarship, fellowship or assistantship.”  Permission to work on campus requires permission from the J-1 Program Sponsor (see below).   Students must complete the form I-9 before beginning work on campus.

  • Students in J-1 status may work “on campus” for a maximum of 20 hours per week when school is in session and full-time (more than 20 hours a week) during summer and winter recess and official school breaks such as Fall, Thanksgiving and Spring recess periods. It is the student's responsibility not to exceed this limit and comply with immigration regulations that govern their status.
  • Teaching Fellows appointments count towards the 20 hours per week limit. Students holding TF Level 10 appointments are eligible for an additional 10 hours per week; students holding TF Level 20 appointments cannot hold another on-campus position. Contact your OISS adviser if you have a question.
  • If you pursue on-campus employment, you must apply for a Social Security Number.
  • If Yale University is your J-1 program sponsor, you must seek permission to work from OISS before commencing work which you can done by reporting your on-campus employment below. Authorization can be granted for up to 12 months but can be renewed. This reporting will be sent to SEVIS and serve as your permission to work. If you have an outside sponsor such as Fulbright, you need to contact that sponsor for permission.

Report your J-1 On-Campus Employment


Off-Campus Employment

With prior permission from OISS, some students in J-1 status may engage in off-campus employment which is necessary due to serious, urgent and unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since obtaining the exchange visitor status. An OISS adviser is available to talk with you about the kind of circumstances that qualify and the supporting documentation you need to request this kind of employment.

Academic Training

Academic Training is an employment authorization status granted to eligible J-1 students.  It is authorized by your J-1 program sponsor and does not require further authorization. If Yale University is your sponsor, meaning Yale issued your DS-2019, the advisers at OISS will evaluate your application and authorize you for Academic Training. If your DS-2019 was not issued by Yale University, contact the program sponsor that issued your DS-2019.   To apply for academic training if Yale is your DS-2019 sponsor, click here.

According to the Code of Federal Regulations 8 CFR 274 (a) (f) the term employee means an individual who provides services or labor for wages or other types of remuneration. Therefore employment is work performed or services provided with the expectation that there will be compensation, either financial or other. “Volunteer work” on the other hand refers to philanthropic activity without financial gain.

The most important employment issue that you always need to keep in mind is the issue of legal (or “authorized”) versus illegal (or “unauthorized”) employment. You must always make sure that any employment you plan to engage in is legal employment. Any unauthorized (i.e. illegal) employment - even for one day - even if you did not know it was illegal - poses a grave threat to your ability to remain in or return to the United States. You must always make sure that you have the necessary employment authorization before you begin work, since starting work without prior authorization-even if you receive authorization later-constitutes illegal employment.  If you have questions, always consult with an OISS adviser before beginning any employment. This is the only way to be sure that you won’t engage in unauthorized employment, with all of its adverse consequences for your future in the United States.