While on Pre-Completion OPT:
There are no reporting requirements for Pre-Completion OPT.
While on Post-Completion OPT:
- While OISS will continue to support you during this period by maintaining your SEVIS record, it is your responsibility to report the required information related to your OPT.
- You can find a summary of your reporting requirements below.
- If you want to report any changes you can complete the OISS Reporting Tool:
- Only click the above link once. Each time you click this link, it will create a new OPT update record.
- Make sure to answer all questionnaires. If a questionnaire does not apply to your situation, please click select “no” as the answer to the first question in the applicable questionnaires. Before submitting, all boxes should be checked:
- You must click the green SUBMIT button () at the top of the report homepage in order for the reviewer to receive your update. If you only answer the questionnaires, but do not click this main SUBMIT button, then the reviewer will not see your report, delaying the submission to SEVIS. Your update is not submitted until you see a green bar like this across the top of your screen:
- If you do not complete the report in one sitting, you can return to the report you started by visiting connect.oiss.yale.edu and clicking on the report listed on the left-hand side.
When Do You Need to Submit an OPT Update?
Within 10 Days of Any of the Following:
- Start of employment (ideally you should report as soon as possible once your OPT is approved to prevent SEVIS counting days of unemployment)
- End of employment
- Change of employers
- Current employer changes name and/or address
- Change of Visa Status (e.g. to H-1B)
- Change in residential address
- Update to biographical information (e.g. name, surname, etc.)
- Leaving the U.S. and not intending to use OPT anymore
Where to Report OPT Updates
Use the OISS Reporting Tool to report any OPT Updates:
The SEVP Portal is an optional tool that allows F-1 students on post-completion OPT and STEM OPT to report information to the government. However OISS recommends that you continue to use the OISS Reporting Tool and not use the SEVP Portal. If you choose to report information through the SEVP Student Portal, you must also report the information using the OISS reporting tool.
Please remember that travel signatures are valid for 6 months when you are on OPT. If you will travel internationally and need a new travel signature, please submit an OPT update and indicate that you need a new travel signature in the 'comments' section.