Change of Education Level

If you are remaining at Yale but changing to a different academic program (e.g. from a Master's to a PhD program), OISS must issue you a new I-20. To do so bring to OISS the following documents.

A Copy of Your Acceptance Letter to the New Academic Program.

If you are a Yale student admitted to a Graduate or Professional School program: OISS will obtain this information from your new program. To check if your documentation has been forwarded to OISS, you may contact the appropriate Admissions Office or OISS

If you are an undergraduate Yale College Student attending one of the Combined Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree Programs in the Professional Schools, you must bring your letter of acceptance and funding evidence to OISS during open hours. No appointment necessary.

Evidence of Funds to Cover the Expenses of the New Program for the First Academic Year.

A financial aid award letter from the new program, a bank or investment statement, or an outside sponsor letter or a combination of sources, are acceptable forms of evidence of funds for I-20 issuance.

An OISS adviser will review your request. If there are questions, you will be contacted via email. Once all documentation is reviewed, a new I-20 will be issued within 3 business days. You will be sent an email when your new I-20 is ready for pick up.

Travel During the Period Between the Two Programs

You are considered legally present in the U.S. in F-1 status between the two programs, as long as you have completed the steps listed above and have received your new I-20. If your F-1 visa has expired, the new I-20 establishes the continuance of your F-1 stay. However, the first time you travel outside the U.S.(except to Canada or Mexico) you will need to apply for a new F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Travel outside the U.S. will require that you present the new I-20 when you re-enter the U.S. If the current visa in the passport is valid, it can be used for new entry to the U.S. prior to the start of your new program. If your current F-1 visa is expired, you must apply for a new F-1 visa prior to returning to the U.S.using the new program I-20.