J-1 Travel Document Checklist

  • Valid DS-2019 (not expired in Section #3) with OISS signature in the Travel Validation section at bottom. The OISS signature should not be older than 12 months and is valid for multiple entries to the U.S.
  • J-2 dependents must have their own valid DS-2019 forms
  • Valid J-1 or J-2 visa from a U.S. embassy (except for Canadian citizens who are not required to have a visa)
  • Valid passport (see note below)
  • If graduated and authorized for Academic Training, a copy of the OISS authorization letter
  • If Yale University is not your J-1 program sponsor, please contact them directly (e.g. Fulbright)


All international students and family members planning to depart from the U.S. and return after a temporary absence must have a valid passport in order to exit the U.S. The passport must also be valid for a minimum of six months into the future at the time of re-entry to the U.S. Some countries have an agreement with the U.S. that automatically extends passport validity for 6 months, for U.S. entry purposes only.


Except for Canadian citizens, all international students will also need to have a valid J-1 visa in their passport issued by a U.S. embassy or consulate. J-1 visa cannot be obtained or renewed inside the U.S.

General Guidance for Traveling and Re-entering the U.S.