Leaving Yale

Please review the following checklist prior to departure from Yale. Your department will provide guidance on the University procedures for employment termination and departure.

  • Notify department supervisor and department Administrator of your planned departure.
  • Provide forwarding address/contact information to your department.
  • Notify the OISS as soon as your resignation or termination is confirmed. Forward a copy of the resignation/termination letter to OISS.
    IMPORTANT: H-1B status automatically ends the day after your official employee status ends. Government regulations require that the OISS notify the U.S. Department of Labor and USCIS of the termination of H-1B employment if the termination date is “prior to” the end date noted on the H-1B approval notice (Form I-797).
  • Keep all original Immigration documents as a record of your visa status during your U.S. stay.
  • Remember to file your tax returns (IRS) for your final period of employment. Email the Payroll Office, make sure to list your full name, last 4 digits of your SSN, your old New Haven address and the new forwarding address where your future tax forms (e.g. W-2, etc.) can be sent. Even though you may no longer be in the U.S., you are required to fulfill U.S. tax filing requirements for the tax year you were present in the U.S. Check the OISS website for information about filing your tax return.

Additional Instructions

In addition to the above, there are procedures depending on whether you remain in the U.S. or not:

Remaining in the U.S.

Individuals intending to remain in the United States after leaving Yale must take the initiative to prepare and submit proper paperwork to maintain lawful immigration status. This may involve applying for H-1B status with another employer.

Moving out of the U.S.

Immigration reminders:

  • Scholars in H-1B status are required to leave the United States on or before the end date on their Form I-94.
  • Scholars admitted to the United States in H-1B status may be given a grace period of 10 days. This is at the discretion of the immigration officer at the point of entry. This grace period will be noted on the I-94 record.

General reminders:

  • Donate or Sell Your Stuff
    If you have household items to pass on, donate them to friends or local charities, give them away on Free Cycle, www.freecycle.org, or sell them on newhaven.craigslist.org
  • Notify Utility Companies
    Be sure to tell the utility companies (gas, electricity, water, phone) about your departure. Ask if you can pay the bills before you leave. If you will be getting a return on any of your deposits, make arrangements to receive the money.
  • Settle accounts with businesses, publications, insurance companies, credit cards, etc.
  • Close your bank account and purchase traveler’s checks if you will need them.
  • Notify your landlord of your departure date (refer to your lease as to how much notice you need to give). Be sure to check about any necessary procedures that may be required of you before you leave. Return your keys, and in writing, leave a forwarding address and request the return of your security deposit.
  • Consult your country's embassy to determine what customs regulations you will need to consider when taking or shipping your belongings home.
  • Obtain passports for all U.S. born children (it can take up to 8 weeks). Contact the U.S. Department of State Passport services at travel.state.gov/passport.