Transferring To and From Yale

If you are in lawful F-1 status and are completing or leaving your current program with confirmed arrangements to continue your studies in the U.S. at a different institution in the next academic semester, you must complete the F-1 transfer process. The transfer procedure is initiated by the school you are currently attending and is completed in SEVIS by the new school.

F-1 Transfer Eligibility

  • Student must be maintaining legal F-1 status
  • Must notify current school of intention to transfer within 60 days of program completion
  • New program start date must be within 5 months of the current program end date

Incoming Transfer to Yale

What to do

You will receive an email with the link to the New Student Survey from OISS. Once you have logged into OISS Connect and clicked New Student Survey Tool, please answer all the questionnaires. Under the 'Visa Information' questionnaire, you would need to select ‘yes’ to indicate that you are planning to transfer.

Once you have done this, you can click the link to the ‘SEVIS Transfer In’ request. This will create a Transfer Request Record in OISS Connect. In this request, please follow the instructions for requesting your transfer.

  • Upload your current I-20 to the 'Transferring Your SEVIS Record to Yale' questionnaire.
  • Request a recommendation from the international student adviser at your current institution.

Things to keep in mind

  • Once the transfer release date is reached and upon the receipt of all required materials, a new I-20 from Yale will be issued and sent to you by your admissions office.
  • You must check in at Yale OISS within 15 days of the start date on your new I-20.
  • After you check in, Yale OISS will complete the F-1 transfer in SEVIS and issue you another I-20 noting transfer completion.

Outgoing Yale F-1 Transfer Student

Yale F-1 students who have made a commitment to attend another institution must complete the transfer process with OISS before the end of their 60-day grace period.

What to do

  • Contact the international student adviser at the new school you are joining and inform them you are an F-1 transfer student. Follow any instructions they give regarding forms to complete, and be sure that you obtain the new school's SEVIS campus code.
  • Create a Transfer Out request for the current term in OISS Connect. Be sure that you attach your letter of admission to your new program in your request.
  • If you need assistance determining an appropriate SEVIS transfer release date, speak to your OISS adviser before submitting your request in OISS Connect. The release date must be based on your employment and travel plans, but cannot be later than your 60-day grace period. The release date reflects the day that Yale no longer has access to your record, and the first day that your new school can access it to create a new I-20 for you.

Things to keep in mind

  • Your SEVIS record will be electronically released to your new school on the mutually agreed upon transfer release date.
  • If you are or will be on post-completion OPT, your work authorization will automatically end on the transfer release date.
  • You must check in at the new institution within 15 days of the start date on your new I-20.
  • After you check in, your new school will complete your F-1 transfer in SEVIS.

Important Guidance for the Summer Between Programs

  • While transferring from one U.S. institution to another one you are eligible to remain in the U.S. in the summer between two programs.
  • You may travel outside the U.S. during the transfer pending period. If your current F-1 visa (unless Canadian) is still valid, you can use it to re-enter the U.S. prior to the start of your new program using the I-20 from your new school.
  • On-campus employment benefit ends on the end date indicated on your I-20. If you plan to work at Yale after the completion of your academic program, you must apply and be approved for OPT and the work must be related to the your major or field of study (not custodial or reunion work).