Joining the Yale Community: Getting Involved
- Check out out the OISS Events Calendar, and register for events.
- Check out our Wellness & Self-Care page for resources and events related to mental health, staying active, and Yale's wellness programs.
- Check out our resources for spouses, partners, and family.
- For listings of local events, check out the links in the Events Around Town block to the right (web) or below (mobile).
- Participate in our Community Connection Programs. The OISS coordinates both the Community Friends program, and the Thanksgiving Holiday at Home program.
Affinity Groups at Yale
The Office of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion oversees the Yale-wide affinity groups (or employee resource groups). Each of the eight groups support recruitment, retention, education, advocacy, and community building, and offer many programs and events throughout the year.
- Asian Network at Yale
- Diversability at Yale
- Future Leaders of Yale, Young Professionals Affinity Group
- Women’s Working Network
- Yale African American Affinity Group
- Yale Latino Networking Group
- Yale Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Affinity Group
- Yale Veterans Network
The Chaplain's Office can help you locate a supportive faith community and provides services such as counseling, student program support, and pastoral care. The Office sponsors a wide variety of worship opportunities, including ecumenical worship at the University Church in Battell Chapel each Sunday, daily prayer for Muslims, weekly services in various Christian traditions, and special multi-faith services throughout the year. Their programs are open to everyone, even if you are not religious.
English Conversation Groups at OISS
The Office of International Students & Scholars offers daily, informal English Conversation Groups for international students, scholars and their spouses and partners who wish to gain further experience speaking English as a foreign language. Open to all!
Office of LGBTQ Resources
Yale University is a welcoming community that holistically supports lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ) people. The Office of LGBTQ Resources at Yale provides campus-wide support, and the OISS is available to provide guidance and answer questions on visas and other matters of concern. The university and the New Haven community have many active groups for the LGBTQ+ community, so make sure to find the space that's right for you.
Yale Postdoctoral Association (YPA)
The Yale Postdoctoral Association (YPA) is composed of postdocs from across disciplines. The goal of the YPA is to create a broad sense of community and engagement among postdocs at Yale, as well as to help postdocs have a happy and successful experience at Yale. The YPA organizes career, professional development, and social events for the postdoctoral community and beyond.
The YPA has also recently launched the Postdoc Buddy Program. This program matches incoming postdocs with their colleagues already working at Yale. Current postdocs offer social support by answering questions about Yale, New Haven, and postdoc life. To learn more and sign-up to be a buddy or a mentee, head to the YPA Buddy website.
Yale Women's Center
The Yale Women's Center is an inclusive space for the university's diverse women and provides resources, support and activities. The Center is staffed by volunteers and you can contact them for details about how to get involved.