Outside the U.S.? Applying for Your U.S. Visa

The information on this page provides an overview of the initial steps required of scholars who are not currently in the U.S. and need a U.S. visa to enter. Regardless of which visa category you may be using, OISS will process requests as soon as we have received all necessary information from you and your host department.

Important Note for Those Currently Outside the U.S.:
Do not reserve your travel tickets until you have the proper visa status for your Yale appointment.

Preliminary Steps

For Canadians Special Note For Canadians:
Canadian citizens do not need to apply for a U.S. visa and can enter the U.S. with the appropriate immigration document (e.g. DS-2019 for J-1 status, I-797 approval notice for H-1B.)

Next Steps

Follow the instructions below depending on your visa type.