Transportation & Driving

Transportation & Driving

Yale shuttle on street

You do not need a car in New Haven. Yale operates a comprehensive (and free) campus shuttle system making it convenient to travel in and around the campus.

New Haven is a compact town with a local bus system and train services connecting the city with the neighboring towns, as well as New York City and Boston, making it easy to explore places around New Haven.

Long-Distance Travel

Driving in Connecticut

Connecticut permits a student or visitor to operate a motor vehicle in Connecticut for a period of up to one year with their home country license. If the license is in a language other than English or Spanish, the license must be accompanied by an International Driver’s Permit (IDP), which serves as an English translation of the international license. An IDP is not considered a valid license, and must accompany a valid international driver’s license from the home country. The IDP permits can only be obtained in the country which issued the actual license so you will want to make arrangements for the IDP before you leave your home. Out-of-country licenses are not acceptable as a form of identification.

Please see the links below for more information and things to consider about driving in Connecticut.