Packing Your Bags
✓ Pack as lightly as possible.
- You can always have your family mail you a box or pick up what you need during a visit home. Remember too, anything you forget to bring can be purchased at nearby stores or online stores.
- For information about items prohibited or restricted by U.S. Customs, click here.
✓ Carry-On Luggage
Carry all your important documents (including immigration documents DS-2019 or I-20) medications, toiletries, and few extra pieces of clothing in your carry-on luggage in case your checked bag gets lost. Sometimes, it can take a couple of days to locate misplaced luggage. To find out what you can take with you on the plane or put in your carry-on luggage, contact the airline you intend to use or visit the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) website.
- Do not pack anything valuable in your checked suitcase in case it gets lost.
✓ Clothes & Footwear
- The weather in Connecticut can range from very hot and humid in the summer to quite cold and freezing in the winter. You need to plan for all four seasons: fall, winter, spring, and summer. Should you not have any of the items listed below, you can buy them once you arrive.
- For the summer, you will need light casual clothes and a bathing suit as the beach is about 20 minutes from Yale.
- During the fall and spring, you will want a light jacket or sweater.
- You will need a heavy coat for winter, which is December though February. OISS can recommend nearby places to buy a good winter coat at a discount if you don’t have one. Be sure to also review our Winter Resources page.
- You will need an assortment of footwear: sandals for summer, warm waterproof boots for winter, and comfortable sneakers or flat shoes for walking around campus.
- It is recommended that you bring at least one formal evening outfit and a semi-formal outfit. You may also want to bring some traditional dress from your country for festivals and/or special occasions.
✓ Mementos from Home
- Bring familiar objects to comfort you when you are missing home. Consider placing these small, but significant items next to your bed or hang on the wall.
- You may also want to bring small souvenirs from your home country to give as gifts.
✓ Household Items
- Plan on buying most of your household items (small electrical appliances, bed sheets and towels, cooking and eating supplies) once you have arrived. If you have space in your suitcase, you can bring a set of sheets and towels from home to get started.