Traveling and Re-Entering the U.S.

Whether you are traveling to the U.S. for the first time or during your stay at Yale, review the information below carefully.  At a minimum, you will need a valid passport, valid visa (except Canadian citizens) and a valid visa document.  Click the box below for details about your immigration status.  If you have questions or concerns, check with your OISS adviser before you make travel plans.

F-1 Students

J-1 Students

J-1 Scholars

H-1B Workers

U.S. Immigration Inspection

When you arrive, you will clear U.S. immigration with a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at your port of entry.  (There are also several airports outside the U.S. where you clear immigration before your flight in a pre-clearance process.)

I-94 Record

Every non-immigrant entering the U.S. on a sponsored visa (F, J, H, etc…) will have what's called an I-94 record created by the authorities upon entry. It is the responsibility of international students, scholars and family members to look up their I-94 record after entering the U.S. to ensure there are no errors. If you have any difficulty looking up your I-94 record please check with your OISS adviser right away.

Transit Visas When Changing Planes

If your travel plans require a change of planes in a third country, you must check to see if you need a transit visa.  Some countries (including the U.S.) required an entry or transit visa, even if you are only changing planes and resuming your travels during a short time frame.  Before purchasing your ticket, make certain you are aware of any travel requirements or restrictions.

Third Country Visits

When planning to visit a country outside the U.S. which is not your country of citizenship or legal permanent residence, be sure to determine whether or not you will need a visa to enter that country

Canada, Mexico and Contiguous Islands

If you are traveling to Canada, Mexico or the contiguous islands for less than 30 days you may be eligible for a visa renewal exemption.

Travel to Cuba

The U.S. still has an economic embargo against Cuba which includes certain types of travel. Tourism continues to be prohibited according to the Office of Foreign Asset Control (see item #8.) The embargo affects people currently living in the U.S. including international students and scholars. Traveling through other countries prior to arriving in Cuba does not change whether or not you are subject to the embargo (see item #36.) There are specific educational activities that are permitted in Cuba. For details please read the Yale International Toolkit about travel to Cuba before planning your trip.

Resources for Yale Affiliates traveling outside the U.S.

Emergency Travel Assistance 
Yale maintains a travel database so the University can assist you in the event of an emergency.  Please register your travel when leaving the U.S. for school related or personal travel.  You need your net ID to register.  

All students, faculty and staff members, and other Yale affiliates who have a Yale University netID are covered by ​UHC Global Travel Assistance (formerly known as FrontierMEDEX) for both business and pleasure travel.

Yale and the World Services
Yale has a number of resources for faculty, staff, and students to help plan your international activity – from working and studying abroad to coming to Yale from abroad.  Visit the International Toolkit, as well as other resources for Yale affiliates traveling abroad.