F-2 Status for Spouses, Partners & Children

Spouses and children (under 21 and unmarried) of F-1 students hold F-2 status and may accompany you (or join you later) in the U.S. provided you demonstrate that there are sufficient financial resources for their support.

Individuals in  F-2 status may not work in the U.S.

F-2 children may only engage in full-time study at the kindergarten through high school (K-12) level. Part-time study is permitted at any level for persons in F-2 status.

To request an I-20 for your spouse or child, complete the F-1 and J-1 Dependent SEVIS Information Form [PDF] and submit it to OISS along with evidence of sufficient funds to support their stay.  Check here for the required funding minimums.