Before You Leave Home

Schedule all your doctor's and dentist's check-ups at home before you leave. Medical and dental care in the U.S. is excellent, but it makes sense to take care of anything you need before you arrive so that you have one less thing to worry about.

Be aware that many insurance plans, including the Yale Student Health plan, does not cover dental or vision (glasses or contacts) expenses.


You may want to bring a small personal supply of any medication/prescriptions you need to cover your first few weeks in the U.S. This includes non-prescription medications that you take. Prescription medication may cost more in the U.S. for the same drug from the same company. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection provides guidance on bringing prescription medicines into the U.S.

Sometimes it is difficult to translate a prescription or a non-prescription medication. If you can bring the scientific name of the drug with you, it may be easier to find the equivalent. You may also want to bring copies of your prescriptions translated into English.

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 days supply. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S.

Vaccination and Medical Records

All students must comply with the University's vaccination requirements. If you are a student or if you have children who will attend school or daycare in Connecticut, you must show proof of immunization. Bring with you proof of immunizations and your full medical records.

Traveler's Insurance

It is advisable to carry traveler's insurance if your home insurance will not cover the expenses of emergency medical care while you travel and during your first few days at Yale. The start date for the Yale Health Plan varies from school to school. Please check with your specific school if you have any questions.