Employment for O-1 Scholars

Yale O-1 sponsorship is employer specific, and only allows for employment and payments from Yale directly, and only within the range of dates as listed on the I-797 Approval Notice.  In order to remain in legal O-1 status the scholar must maintain each element of the original application including:

  • O-1 scholars may not accept compensation, including honoraria, from any other employer or entity other than those named in the original O-1 application. Scholars in O-1 status who are invited to give a lecture off-campus, collaborate or conduct research with other schools can receive reimbursement for reasonable living and transportation costs only.
  • A scholar may work for more than one employer, but each employer must file a separate O-1 application.

Report any Change in Address

It is important to note that all nonimmigrant visa holders are required to notify USCIS within 10 days of a change of residential address. O-1 visa holders may report a change of address by completing Form AR-11 or Form AR-11SR. Please let OISS know about your address change by filling out this form.