Current Travel Guidance and Restrictions

Current Travel Guidance and Restrictions

Current Travel Guidance and Restrictions

Proof of Vaccination

Pursuant to a presidential proclamation issued October 25, 2021, all persons traveling to the United States by air who are not U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or U.S. lawful permanent residents are required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The proclamation allows for limited exceptions one of which is for persons with valid visas [excluding B-1 (business) or B-2 (tourism) visas] who are citizens of a foreign country with limited COVID-19 vaccine availability. If you travel by air to the United States under an exception, you will be required to meet additional conditions and restrictions including vaccination within 60 days of arrival, testing, and quarantine. Learn more about this new vaccination requirement.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. lawful permanent resident and are fully vaccinated, make sure your vaccine and proof of vaccination are acceptable to board a flight to the United States.

Entering the U.S. Through a Land Border or Ferry Terminal

Starting November 8, 2021, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced that non-citizen travelers who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and have appropriate documentation will be allowed to enter the United States via land ports of entry and ferry terminals. Non-citizen travelers should be prepared to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination and verbally attest to their reason for travel and COVID-19 vaccination status during a border inspection. You can find more information about entering the U.S. through a land border or ferry terminal in this FAQ published by DHS.

Yale's Vaccine Requirement

The above is related to federal travel requirements. Yale also requires all students, faculty, and staff to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Please refer to Yale Health's COVID-19 Vaccination FAQ for International Students and Scholars for more information. If you have a question please call the Campus COVID Resources Line at 203-432-6604.   Details about Yale's COVID Travel Requirements can be found here.

New COVID Test Requirement for Travelers From China, Hong Kong, or Macau

On December 28, 2022, CDC announced that starting at 12:01 AM ET on January 5, it will implement a requirement for a negative COVID-19 test from all air passengers boarding flights to the United States originating from the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong or Macau, as well as those passengers transiting through Seoul, Toronto, and Vancouver, and who have been in China, Hong Kong, or Macau in the past 10 days. Please read this news article for more details, and plan accordingly. 

Limited Visa Appointment Availability & Visa Interview Waivers

Unless you are a Canadian citizen, you must have a valid visa to enter the U.S. Some U.S. Embassy and Consulates have not still resumed normal operations, causing delays in visa processing in certain parts of the world. The Department of State announced that U.S. embassy or consulates can waive the visa interview requirement for those who are applying for a nonimmigrant visa in the same classification and whose visa has expired within 48 months. This policy is in effect until 12/31/2023.

Chinese Institutions and Funding 

Presidential Proclamation 10043  (May 29, 2020) may affect visa issuance and/or entry to the United States for an individual from the People's Republic of China (PRC) seeking to enter the United Stateson a F or J visa .  Proc 10043 may be applicable to an individual who “…receives funding from or who currently is employed by, studies at, or conducts research at or on behalf of… an entity in the PRC that implements or supports the PRC’s 'military-civil fusion strategy” or in the past “has been employed by, studied at, or conducted research at or on behalf of… an entity in the PRC that implements or supports the PRC’s 'military-civil fusion strategy.'”  Please contact your OISS adviser if you have questions.  You can read more about Proc10043 here.

Visa and Travel Considerations for Ukrainian Students and Scholars

Details about non-immigrant visa issuances for citizens of Ukraine, as well as other resources.

U.S. Consular Operations in Russia and Belarus

Details about F and J Visa Processing for Residents in Russia