Yale Releases 1042-S Forms

March 16, 2023

On March 14, Yale released the 1042-S forms (Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding) for your 2022 tax filing. This form, which is necessary to complete your 2022 taxes, was mailed to you at your address on file at the University. If you have a FNIS account, you may be able to get an electronic version of the form. If you have any questions about this form or need a copy, please email askfinance@yale.edu

Sprintax Tax Preparation Software Available 

This software will assist non-resident tax filers with the 2022 tax return and is available to Yale students and scholars, as well as international alumni and visitors who are non-resident tax filers who had U.S. source income in 2022. OISS is covering the cost for your federal return - you must access Sprintax through the OISS website to get the discount, which will be automatically applied at the check out. Remember, the filing deadline this year is Tuesday, April 18, 2023!

Access Sprintax Here

  • You will be instructed to log on through Yale CAS and will be directed to the Sprintax website specific to Yale students (there will be a Yale logo).
  • You do not need an access code; you will not be charged for your federal return at the checkout. If you wish to file a state tax return(s) you will be able to do this through Sprintax, but you will need to pay for that portion.
  • Please follow the step by step instructions under the “How to File” section on our Sprintax page. There are helpful videos in each section

Sprintax Webinars & Resources

  • Yale Specific Workshop: Sprintax will conduct a webinar specifically for the Yale international community on Wednesday, March 8 at 11 AM. Please register Yale-specific Sprintax Nonresident Tax Webinar here.
  • If you have questions or need a little help, you can tune into one of the other Sprintax Webinars. If you can't attend live, you can register for one of the sessions and the recording will be sent to you afterwards. 

Additional Sprintax Resources

Before You Get Started

  • International students and scholars with U.S. source income must have either a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN). If you had taxable income in 2022 (wages and/or taxable scholarship) and do not have either an SSN or ITIN, you should apply now.
  • Collect your income statements usually the form W-2 (which are now available on Workday) and/or form 1042-S which will be released in mid-March.
  • For more information about your U.S. tax obligations, click here.

What if I Had No U.S. Source Income in 2022? 

  • If you did NOT HAVE any U.S. source income in 2022, you still need to fill out a form, but you do not need to use Sprintax to complete form 8843 - just follow the instructions on our website.
  • The form you will file is form 8843 (fill out Part I and Part III; sign and date on the second page; and mail to the address in the instructions – remember to make a copy before mailing). 
  • If you have dependents who have no U.S. source income, you must file a separate Form 8843 for each dependent.