What Documents to Travel with to Enter the U.S. This Year

With all of the immigration changes this year due to COVID-19, we have added a few documents that we suggest you travel with as you enter the U.S. this year, to make your entry into the U.S. as smooth as possible.

Documents to Have in your Carry On Luggage:

1. Valid Passport : Must be valid at least 6 months into the future at the time of admission.

2. Valid U.S. Visa (Canadian citizens do not need a visa)

3. Your Immigration Document:  An I-20 for F-1 status, a DS-2019 for J-1 status, an I-797 approval notice for H-1B holders.

If we sent you a  new electronic I-20 this summer, please print that updated I-20 and carry that with the original that we issued you initially.

4. Receipt from the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System: SEVIS fee if you are an F or J visa holder

5. Copy of your admissions letter and proof of funds: While you may not be asked for it, it is advisable for new students to carry these these documents as well.  Proof of funds, can include the same documents you submitted to obtain your I-20 or DS-2019, such as bank statements and scholarship letters.

6. NEW: Yale Fall 2020 Letter:  This letter, issued by OISS, explains that Yale is open and will be operating for full-time study this fall. 

7. Travelers from Schengen Area, United Kingdom, and Ireland :  Print off this bulletin from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection 

8. Travelers from Canada: If you will be traveling over the land border, print off this page which clarifies “individuals traveling to attend educational institutions” are considered “essential travelers”.