Tax Deadline April 18 - File NOW!

April 12, 2023

The U.S. tax filing deadline this year is Tuesday, April 18 - do not delay any further in filing your taxes!

The Sprintax software will assist non-resident tax filers with the 2022 tax return and is available to Yale students and scholars, as well as international alumni and visitors who are non-resident tax filers who had U.S. source income in 2022. OISS is covering the cost for your federal return - you must access Sprintax through the OISS website to get the discount, which will be automatically applied at the check out. 

Not sure if you should use Sprintax or Turbotax? Watch this short video to find out

Access Sprintax Here

  • You will be instructed to log on through Yale CAS and will be directed to the Sprintax website specific to Yale students (there will be a Yale logo).
  • You do not need an access code; you will not be charged for your federal return at the checkout. If you wish to file a state tax return(s) you will be able to do this through Sprintax, but you will need to pay for that portion.
  • Please follow the step by step instructions under the “How to File” section on our Sprintax page. There are helpful videos in each section

Sprintax Webinars & Resources

  • If you have questions or need a little help, you can tune into one of the other Sprintax Webinars. If you can't attend live, you can register for one of the sessions and the recording will be sent to you afterwards. 

Additional Sprintax Resources

Before You Get Started

International students and scholars with U.S. source income must have either a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) to file taxes. If you had taxable income in 2022 (wages and/or taxable scholarship) and don't have either an SSN or ITIN yet (you should apply as soon as possible), we recommend that you still go ahead and use Sprintax to find out whether you owe taxes or are due a tax refund.

  • If you owe taxes, please note that you will need to file an extension in order not to accrue penalties and have enough time to obtain your SSN or ITIN.
  • However, if you are due a tax refund, then you can wait to file your taxes until you obtain an SSN or ITIN: you will have three years from the filing deadline to file your tax return and there is no need to file an extension. However, please note that you must be in the U.S. and have a valid immigration status to be able to get an SSN or ITIN. You will not be able to obtain an SSN or ITIN if your immigration status has ended or you are outside the U.S.

If you already obtained an SSN or ITIN, but have not reported it yet, then please update your student record with your school's registrar.  If you are not a student, please update your personnel record with the Employee Services.

You will also need to collect your income statements usually the form W-2 (which are now available on Workday) and/or form 1042-S which will be released in mid-March.

For more information about your U.S. tax obligations, click here.

What if I Had No U.S. Source Income in 2022? 

  • If you did NOT HAVE any U.S. source income in 2022, you still need to fill out a form, but you do not need to use Sprintax to complete form 8843 - just follow the instructions on our website.
  • The form you will file is form 8843 (fill out Part I and Part III; sign and date on the second page; and mail to the address in the instructions – remember to make a copy before mailing). 
  • If you have dependents who have no U.S. source income, you must file a separate Form 8843 for each dependent.