In the wake of two massive earthquakes and aftershocks that hit southeastern Turkey and vastly affected Syria and other parts of the Middle East on Monday, February 6th, as OISS staff, we would like to express our deepest sympathy and concern for our international students, scholars, and staff from Turkey and Syria. The sheer magnitude of the destruction and loss of life is heartbreaking. In the face of this devastating and tragic event, we want all members of the Yale international community who are from Turkey or Syria, or have families and friends in the affected areas, to know that we are here for you.
We know that members of the Yale community may want to support efforts to assist those affected. The International Student Organization (ISO) and Turkish Student Association of Yale College have shared the following donation sites with us:
- Yale Turkish Student Association Fundraiser
- AFAD - Turkey's Official Disaster and Emergency Management Program
- AKUT – Turkish Search and Rescue Organization
- KIZILAY - Turkish Red Crescent
- AHBAP - One of the most active volunteer networks in the affected regions
- Bridge to Turkey - US based aid foundation targeting Turkey
- Turkish Philanthropy Funds - US based aid foundation supporting Turkish Americans and Turkey
- Union of Medical Care and Relief Organizations - They provide independent and impartial relief and medical care
- OXFAM - Global organization that fights inequality and works to end poverty and injustice
- In addition to organizations above, graduates of Boğaziçi University has complied a very comprehensive list of fundraising campaigns around the world, which you can find here
- National Arab American Medical Association (NAAMA) – The largest international organization of Arab American physicians and medical students based in the United States
- Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) - Global medical relief organization working in Syria
- Mercy Corps – A global non-governmental, humanitarian aid organization
- Humanity & Inclusion – A non-governmental international organization
Resources At Yale
Yale has resources in place to aid the campus community in times of tragedy like the current one.
- Any student, scholar, or staff in need of support can contact Mental Health and Counseling at Yale Health, where assistance is available around the clock. The telephone number is (203) 432-0290 during business hours and for urgent concerns after hours.
- The Chaplain’s Office (Old Campus, Bingham Hall, Entryway D; (203) 432-1128) is also among the resources available to all members of our community.
- Of course, our doors at OISS are also open at 421 Temple St or by phone at (203) 432-2305) to anyone who needs support.
If you have been directly affected by these recent events and need assistance from the University, please contact Ozan Say, Director of OISS at email@example.com or (203) 432-2305.