Reminder to Report Your SSN or ITIN

December 12, 2022
While the tax filing season doesn't start until February, one of the things you need to do now in preparation is to report your SSN or ITIN to the university
If you have received wages, certain reimbursements, or a scholarship that exceeds your tuition, the university will begin issuing tax forms starting January. It is very important for your SSN or ITIN to appear on these tax forms. For this reason, if you received your SSN or ITIN, please report the number to your school’s registrar before the end of the year:
  • Yale College and Graduate School students can do this through the University Registrar’s Office
  • Professional School students should visit your own school registrars
If you are eligible for a tax treaty benefit, send an email to inform the International Tax Office that you have reported your new SSN to the Registrar. Put “SSN Received” in the subject line, but do not email your Social Security Number.
If you do not have an SSN or ITIN and need to apply for one, please visit our website for the next steps.