Reminder: Apply for your SSN or ITIN!

November 9, 2022

For new students and scholars, this is a friendly reminder to apply for a SSN (social security number) if you are eligible. If you are in F-1 status and have an on-campus job or are a PhD student, you are all eligible to apply for an SSN. All J-1 students are eligible to apply for an SSN regardless of your degree level, or whether you have an on campus job or not.   

If you are an F-1 student and you are not eligible for a SSN and you receive taxable scholarship, then you should apply for an ITIN for tax reporting purposes. You do not need to apply for an ITIN, if you are already eligible for SSN.

Please review the quick guidance listed here. Upon receiving your SSN or ITIN, please take your card in person to your registrar and report it so that your Yale record can be updated and your tax forms printed with either your SSN or ITIN. 

If you are receiving a stipend, taxable scholarship, or are working on campus, you will need to file a tax return and will need to have an SSN or ITIN. If you take care of that now and report to your registrar before the end of this semester, filing your tax return will be much easier.