Preparing to File Your 2023 Tax Return

February 15, 2024

All international students and scholars who were in the U.S. for any part of 2023 have certain U.S. tax obligations, including filing an annual federal tax return. We will be giving you more detailed information next week, but here is what you need to know to start preparing.  

If you had no U.S. source income in 2023, you must complete and submit the IRS form 8843.

If you had U.S. source income in 2023, here are the steps you can take now to get ready to file your 2023 federal tax return: 

  • Interna​tional students and scholars with U.S. source income must have either a U.S. social security number (SSN) or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN). 
    If you had taxable income in 2023 (wages and/or taxable scholarship) and do not have either an SSN or ITIN, you will need to apply apply for one. See here for more details. Please note that you must be in the U.S. and have a valid immigration status to be able to get an SSN or ITIN. You will not be able to obtain an SSN or ITIN if your immigration status has ended or you are outside the U.S. 

    If you already obtained an SSN or ITIN, but have not reported it yet, then please update your student record with your school's registrar. If you are not a student, please update your personnel record with the Employee Services.
  • Collect your income statements usually the form W-2 (Yale released the W-2 forms in late January via Workday) and/or form 1042-S which will be released in mid-March and will be posted on the FNIS website. Make sure to create your FNIS account so you can access your form once it becomes available.
    • Will I get a 1042-S form? The 1042-S form is issued to individuals who have received a taxable scholarship or fellowship (e.g. if you are a student and the amount of your financial aid or scholarship exceeds the amount of your tuition), some prizes and awards, and also for income covered by a tax treaty.  
  • For more information about your U.S. tax obligations click here
  • How can I get help with my tax filing? 

    OISS works with Sprintax, a tax preparation software, to assist you with your taxes. In late February (next week) you will receive an email from OISS with additional information and instructions on creating your Sprintax account. 

  • Can I file my 2023 tax return if I am not in the U.S.?

    Yes, you can file your 2023 tax return from outside the U.S. Log into Sprintax and enter all the necessary information. Sprintax will prepare the tax return forms you need to file. 

  • Attend a free Sprintax webinar to get your tax questions answered! See the available workshops here.