E-Filing Now Available on Sprintax - Tax Deadline Approaching

April 12, 2021

While the IRS has announced that the tax filing deadline for federal returns has been extended to May 17, 2021, we encourage you to file your taxes as soon as possible! The sooner you file the sooner you will receive your refund.  

The tax preparation software Sprintax is available and they have recently introduced an e-filing option for your federal tax return;  if you need to file a Connecticut or other state return, you should follow the Sprintax instructions and file by mail. If you have questions about your U.S. tax obligations and how to file you may want to attend an upcoming tax webinar hosted by Sprintax.

This software will assist non-resident tax filers with the 2020 tax return and is available to Yale students and scholars, as well as international alumni and visitors who are non-resident tax filers. You should have all of your income statements (W-2 and/or 1042-S) to be able to complete your tax return. OISS is covering the cost for your federal return (you must access Sprintax through the OISS website to get the discount, which will be automatically applied at the check out). You may also use Sprintax to prepare your state tax return for $29.95. 

Here are some of the additional Sprintax resources you can use:

International students and scholars in the U.S. who have been present in the U.S. for any part of 2020 have certain U.S. tax obligations, including filing an annual federal tax return.

  • If you had no U.S. source income in 2020, you must complete and submit the IRS Form 8843. You do not need an SSN or ITIN if you are only filing Form 8843.
  • If you have had U.S. source income, there are a few things you can do now to get ready to file your 2020 federal tax return (due on May 17, 2021):
  1. International students and scholars with U.S. source income must have either a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN). If you had taxable income in 2020 (wages and/or taxable scholarship) and do not have either an SSN or ITIN, you should apply now.
  2. Collect your income statements usually the form W-2 (which are now available on Workday) and/or form 1042-S which will be released in mid-March.
  3. For more information about your U.S. tax obligations click here.