April 26, 2023
Apply now for Optional Practical Training (OPT) if you are a F-1 students who is graduating this May and plan to work in the U.S.
OISS recommends applying for OPT as soon as possible as it can take 90 days or more for USCIS to approve your OPT application! Please note that you must be physically present in the U.S. to apply for OPT.
- You do not need a job to apply for OPT
- Do not pay the USCIS fee of $410 until you have a new I-20 from OISS recommending you for OPT
- To get a new I-20 recommending OPT, you need to first submit an OPT Request in OISS Connect. Please see the OPT Application Process to learn how to submit your request.
Resources to Help Get You Started
- Review our website: You will find detailed information on eligibility, the application timeline, and process on our F-1 OPT page.
- Review a Recording of an OPT Workshop: Recently, OISS advisers held several OPT workshops to answer your questions and help get you started on the OPT application process. If you will be applying for OPT, it is highly recommended that you start the process by listening to the recording and going through the slides of the appropriate workshop.
Are you a continuing student? You will apply for pre-completion OPT and you can apply as early as 90 days before your requested employment start date.
Get started today!