Emergency Information

Travel Emergencies - Returning to the U.S.

  • If you have left the U.S. without your I-20 or DS-2019 or if the OISS signature is more than 12 months old, email your OISS adviser. To request that a new visa document be shipped to you, see the instructions below.
  • If you are at the U.S. port of entry clearing U.S. immigration and the CBP officer has questions that can be answered by OISS ask the officer if they would like to call OISS for confirmation.  During office hours, you can call your adviser directly or the general office number, 203-432-2305.  After hours call the Yale Police Department at 203-432-4400 who will immediately call the OISS director or associate director.
  • If you experienced difficulties at the U.S. port of entry, OISS would like you to complete this brief anonymous survey about your interaction with Customs and Border Protection officials to help us to identify patterns and advocate for you. If you have an urgent travel issue that has not been resolved please contact your OISS adviser.

Stay Informed & Sign Up for Alerts

Yale/New Haven Emergency Contact Numbers

Police & Fire

Emergencies: 911
Yale-New Haven Hospital: 119
Yale Police: (203) 432-4400

Health Services

Yale Health Plan: (203) 432-0123
Employee Assistance Program(confidential counseling): 1-800-232-6092
Sexual Harassment and Assault Resources & Education (SHARE): (203) 432-6653


Security 24-hour services: (203) 785-5555
Escort service: (203) 432-9255 (2-WALK)
Yale Police: (203) 432-4400

International Travel Emergencies

University Security (24/7) (203) 785-5555
Medical Emergencies:  Yale Health Plan: (203) 432-0123 and International SOS Travel Assistance(215) 942-8478 (you may call collect)

Environmental Health & Safety

Monday – Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm: (203) 785-3555
All other times: 911

Maintenance Emergencies

Medical, Science and Central area: (203) 432-6888
Heat control: (203) 432-6888


Shipping Visa Documents for International Travel

Yale is a member of a discounted courier shipping program called UEMS. Please follow the steps below to arrange for OISS to send a visa document to you via courier. Please note OISS can no longer use DHL.  Please select either FedEx or UPS.  

  1. Go to study.eshipglobal.com and create a request
  2. Pay for the shipping by credit card, Paypal or wire transfer
  3. If you have trouble creating the shipping request call UEMS at 1-800-816-1615
  4. Notify your OISS advisor that you submitted the request so we can retrieve the shipping label
  5. OISS will create the shipping label and send the visa document to the address you requested

NOTE: You may also make alternative arrangements with a local Yale affiliate (friend, department administrator, school admissions or registrar office) to come to OISS, pick-up the document, and ship it to you. Please inform OISS of the details if you plan to have the documents picked up at OISS so that we can have them ready.