Short-distance Travel

Long-distance Travel

Driving in Connecticut

Connecticut permits a student or visitor to operate a motor vehicle in Connecticut for a period of up to one year with their home country license. If the license is in a language other than English or Spanish, the license must be accompanied by an International Driver’s Permit (IDP), which serves as an English translation of the international license. An IDP is not considered a valid license, and must accompany a valid international driver’s license from the home country. The IDP permits can only be obtained in the country which issued the actual license so you will want to make arrangements for the IDP before you leave your home. Out-of-country licenses are not acceptable as a form of identification.

Find Out More About Driving in the U.S.