U.S. Permanent Residence

Overview of Lawful Permanent Resident Status

Lawful permanent resident (LPR) in the United States is also alternatively described as 'immigrant', 'green card holder' and 'resident alien'.  They all convey that the person has permission from immigration to reside in the U.S. permanently.  Persons who hold LPR status may live and work wherever they wish within the U.S. and it has no effect on their current citizenship.  LPRs, in general, have some of the same rights, privileges, and responsibilities as U.S. citizens. LPRs may buy/sell property, own/operate businesses and  be drafted into the military if a draft is in effect. LPRs may not vote in government elections, nor serve on juries at trials, nor hold some elected offices or government jobs.  Persons holding LPR status for five years (in some instances only three) may become eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship.

There are many categories of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status and Yale sponsors only two of those which are described below. You will need a Yale NetID in order to access the links.

Employment Based Sponsorship through Yale

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) at Yale prepares and submits applications as a sponsor for the employment based (EB) categories of EB-1-2 Outstanding Professor/Researcher and EB-2 Labor Certification.

  1. EB-1-B Outstanding Professor/Researcher (OPR)
    As the name implies, the EB-1-B OPR category can be used for teaching faculty or permanent researchers at Yale. The eligibility standard is very high and involves detailed intensive preparation of documentary evidence to prove that the applicant has abundant outstanding academic achievements with international recognition. 

  2. EB-2 Labor Certification Special Handeling
    Most permanent teaching faculty find the EB-2 process easier, since it doesn’t require a lot of preparation and simply involves documenting how the department recruited and selected them to come to Yale. However there is a backlog in the EB-2 category for citizens of China and India, and these faculty members could apply for the EB-1-2 category if they qualify.  

Note: Yale affiliates may not hire an immigration attorney for employment based LPR applications (EB-1-2 and EB-2 Labor Certification) without the prior consent of OISS.

Other LPR Categories

Yale employees interested in applying for all other categories other than the two sponsored by Yale, must either file the applications on their own, or hire an immigration attorney. The University cannot advise on these LPR categories, but detailed information is available through the links below.

  • Family-based: Close family relationship to a U.S. citizen or LPR.
  • Employment-based: There are many employment categories including self-sponsorship.
  • Refugee or Asylee based: Having a well-founded fear of persecution if one returns to the home country.
  • The Diversity Lottery: An annual lottery of select underserved countries.
  • Investors
  • Special Acts of Congress:  Laws that change or make exceptions to the standard procedures for certain persons or groups of people.

Note: Please inform your OISS advisor of your plans to apply for a green card since we need to coordinate your current visa status with your LPR application.