Leave of Absence & Research Abroad

Leave of Absence

If you are considering a leave of absence, you must consult with OISS before making your final decision. In most instances, a J-1 student may not remain in the U.S. in J-1 student status during a leave of absence. You will need to either depart the U.S. or make arrangements to obtain another nonimmigrant status.

Study/Research Abroad

If you plan to study or conduct research outside the U.S. for an academic semester or longer (not including summer term), please check with an OISS adviser before you leave. Arrangements will be made to keep you in lawful student status and enrolled in absentia so that you can return to New Haven without delay. Address reporting requirements still apply while you are outside the U.S. and in some cases, a new visa will be required to return.