Health Insurance Requirement

All J-1 Exchange Visitors and their J-2 dependents are required by federal regulations to have medical insurance for the entire period of their stay in the U.S. You may select the medical insurance that is best for you and any family; however, here is the minimum coverage that must be met:

  • $100,000 per accident or illness
  • A deductible of no more than $500 per illness and a co-pay not to exceed 25%
  • Medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000. Evacuation refers to transporting an injured person for medical treatment.
  • Repatriation coverage for up to $25,000. Repatriation refers to transporting a body to the country of citizenship after death.

Any insurance policy that fulfills these requirements must be underwritten by an insurance corporation having an A.M. Best rating of “A” or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-i” or above, a Standard and Poor’s Claims-paying Ability rating of “A” or above, a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of “B+” or above, or such other rating service that the Exchange Visitor Program may specify. Insurance coverage backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the Exchange Visitor’s home country meets the requirements. Health benefits programs offered on a group basis to employees or enrolled students by a designated sponsor or underwritten by a federally qualified health maintenance organization (HMO) or an eligible competitive medical plan as determined by the Health Care Financing Administration shall also qualify.

The medical and hospitalization coverage provided by the Yale Health Plan meets and exceeds these requirements, but does not provide coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation.  (See below.)

Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage

If you are in the U.S. under the sponsorship of Yale's J Exchange Visitor program, the medical evacuation and repatriation insurance requirement is covered for you by UHC Global, a travel assistance program purchased by the University.   If your spouse, partner or dependent children are traveling with you in J-2 status, they are also covered by the University's repatriation/medical evacuation plan.

Affordable Care Act

J exchange visitors, including J-2 spouses and dependent(s), may be subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.  For more information on the Affordable Care Act, see these resources:

Please note that J-1 scholars and J-1 students have different exempt periods.