Applying from Outside the U.S.

The following instructions are for individuals who are currently outside the U.S. and will be starting H-1B employment at Yale.


Discuss with the hiring department whether they support sponsoring you in H-1B status.

H-1B Application

When applying for H-1B visa status, Yale University must first establish you will be working temporarily at the University in a specialized occupation on a full-time basis (100% FTE). OISS will work with the hiring department to make sure the appropriate documentation is collected.

After you are contacted by OISS, you must complete the “Beneficiary” tab in your OISS Connect account, and submit by email the all required documents listed below to your OISS adviser.

Additional Materials

You must provide your OISS adviser (preferably by email) with the following document copies scanned as *unsecured* PDFs (files not provided in this format may cause delays in OISS review):

  • H-1B Additional Information Form
  • Your C.V.
  • Your highest degree certificate, including the degree field.
    • If degree field is not on the certificate a copy of your transcripts (or an alternative official document that shows the degree field) is required.
    • If not in English, an English translation is also required.
    • If the degree is from outside the U.S., it is required to have a credential evaluation completed. The degree evaluation must also contain the degree field.  (Contact the company of your choice, or review the information provided here
  • Copy of the personal data and expiration page in your passport. (If your passport is expiring soon, it should be renewed before arriving in the U.S.)
  • Current visa stamp

Further Documentation Required If You:

  • Have ever held J-1/J-2 status in the U.S.; copies of all your Forms DS-2019 forms, J-1/J-2 visa stamps and a copy of the waiver of the two-year home residence requirement (if applicable).
  • Have ever been in H-1B status, copies of all previous Forms I-797 Notice of Action issued by the USCIS.

MD Patient Care Clinicians Only

If you are applying for H-1B status that includes clinical responsibilities and patient care, you must also provide:

  • Copies of your unrestricted State license, registration or certificate, if required by your specialty
  • Copies of your ECFMG certification (if your medical degree is from overseas), or a copy of your U.S. or Canadian medical degree certificate
  • Copies of your USMLE 1, 2, 3 results (except the U.S. medical degree holders)
  • Copies of your Board Certification (if applicable)

Accompanying Dependents Only

  • Spouses and unmarried children (under the age of 21) of those approved for H-1B status are considered dependents and are eligible for H-4 status. Dependents outside of the U.S. will use the H-1B approval notice with a copy of the marriage or birth certificate (as appropriate; translated into English if in another language) when applying for the H-4 visa stamp at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate abroad. Canadians do not need to obtain a U.S. visa stamp.

Once your OISS adviser has received all required materials for the H-1B application and processed the application packet, you will get an email confirming that the application has been sent to USCIS.