Criteria for Requesting a J-1 Extension:
Time limitations: Check the scholar record in OISS Connect to see which J category they are in. Below are maximum limits for each category. Note that there are also Yale policies on how long an appointment may be extended. Before making an extension request you will need to review both criteria to make sure the scholar is eligible for an extension.
J-1 Short Term Scholar: Six month maximum
J-1 Student Intern : One year maximum
J-1 Non-degree student: Two year maximum
J-1 Research Scholar: Five year maximum
Funding: Enter the funding for the new period of extended time only. You can review Yale funding minimums here. If there is any non-Yale funding please upload the information in the Documents tab in OISS Connect.
Changes in Yale appointment or work location: You will need to confirm in OISS Connect the Yale work location and check the box if the appointment title has changed.
Please note: Once an individual is notified that the U.S. Department of State (DOS) has sent a favorable recommendation that the waiver of the two year home residency requirement be granted, per DOS the J-1 “exchange visitor is no longer considered eligible for an extension of program beyond the end date shown on the current DS-2019, even though they may not have completed the maximum duration of participation permitted for the category.”
Requesting an Extension in OISS Connect
1. Log in to OISS Connect. Search for and open the active scholar record you wish to extend. (When searching, use only one name, e.g. 'Elihu', not 'Elihu Yale'.)
2. Click on the 'Extend DS-2019' request button at the top of the record.
3. Enter the requested information and add any additional comments for OISS.
4. Upload any required documents to the request, such as appointment approval or evidence of non-Yale funding.
5. Click the Create Request button when done.