Overview of the Process
Obtaining the DS-2019
- The appointment is confirmed.
- The department makes a New Sponsorship Request (NSR) in OISS Connect, submitting basic information like the appointment start/end date.
- The department submits the NSR and waits for OISS to review it.
- Within 10 business days, OISS sends the scholar an email with instructions to access their OISS Connect account and how to submit their information and documents. The department is cc'd on this email.
- The department:
- Fills out all required information in the 'Department' section
- Uploads required documents to the 'Documents' section, like the Proof of English Language Proficiency, courier label if necessary, and any additional materials.
- Optionally, reminds the scholar to email you when they complete their requirements.
- At the same time, the scholar:
- Fills out all required information in the 'Exchange Visitor' Section.
- Uploads required documents to the 'Documents' section, like their CV, passport scan, copies of previous immigration forms, etc.
- Emails the department when they have completed all of the above.
- The department reviews the record to make sure that it is complete:
- All information and documents required by the department are present.
- All information and documents required by the scholar are present.
- The department submits the record to OISS by clicking the Submit to ISSS button. If any required info is missing, or OISS has any questions, we will be in contact.
- After submitting a completed record*, it can take up to 10 business days to be processed by OISS, and possibly longer during busier times of the year.
Important Note:Wondering what the status is of the DS-2019 form is for an incoming scholar? Check the status at the top left of the record:
- *Completed record means that all required information is present. OISS processing only starts once OISS has received a 100% complete OISS Connect record. If required information is missing from the scholar or the department, this process will take longer.
- Draft: No DS-2019 issued
- Initial: DS-2019 issued
- When the record is processed , a DS-2019 will be produced for the scholar, and an email with instructions will be sent to the scholar with a copy to the department.